Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Hallmarks Part II: Growth, Varied Pathways, and Engaging Work for ALL

This is part two of talking more about the hallmarks. These are just too good to have on one post so I decided it would be better to break them up and discuss them individually or in smaller parts to really get a feel for what they can help you do.

Hallmark #4: Individual Growth is Emphasized as Central to Classroom Success. 


This is tied in with number three where students and the teacher need to share responsibility for the classroom success and making goals to gain that success together. I remember when we first started my differentiation class and Dr. P mentioned
that differentiation is helping each student individually grow one full year from whichever point they enter your classroom at and I was just mind blown because that is exactly what I want to do. I want my students to come into my class and to know that wherever they are starting from is okay with me because I'm going to help them progress on their level and help them want to grow and build on the knowledge that they already have. When students feel good knowing that their teacher is willing to help them grow no matter where they are at, they are going to have a better outlook on life and help others around them. These things will then lead to a successful classroom where everyone feels important and valued.

Hallmark #5: A "Way Up," Usually Through Multiple and Varied Pathways, and Never a "Way Out." 


This is the one I had and I compared it a class I had taken my first semester in the program where we had to each go across the floor
doing some movement that applied to us and not copy our neighbor. There wasn't a time limit per say on how long so some students could have chosen to go really, really slow although many of us completed our journey across the floor fairly quickly. When moving across the floor you could use different level high where you were straight us, medium where you were crouched, or low where your body was on the ground. You could move slow, normal paced or fast to show different pathways. All these things show different ways toward the same goal: getting across the floor. Another girl compared it to a corn maze which was really creative. We all have the same end goal, but sometimes students need to take different paths to get there. Please be the teacher that helps their student find a way to succeed that is best for them and not the easiest for you.

Hallmark #6 Respectful and Engaging Work for All Students


It's important for all students to be engaged in the work they are doing. Sometimes as teachers we fall
into the habit of having "fun" or engaging activities for our fast finishers while our struggling students have to sit and do the worksheet version of what we are teaching. I've noticed this in a few classrooms I've been in and it makes me sad. I had one girl say to me, "I never get to go to the grab and go math folder." I want her to want to get there, but because she is always one of the last students finished her teacher has not let her get there. So as I work with her I try to help her stay focused on getting to grab and go in math. Also let your students know why they are doing the worksheets they are doing or what they are practicing or learning from the tasks you are giving them. Make it personal and fun to them, even if it is "just a worksheet."



When you help students individually grow and help them see how far they come, they will love you a lot more for it. I know it will be a lot of work trying to get each student to a new level, but imagine how much more you'll do for a child when you incorporate that. Let them see how far they've come, celebrate with them, let them share it with the class, show them that they are awesome and very bright, and you'll be amazed at how much they want to show you how smart they can get. In order to allow them to show you how smart they are or how they know it a teacher must be willing to try different pathways to help their students rise and not just give up. It's important to take into consideration that some students may start from the bottom and have very little to no knowledge of the subject and that's okay. As soon as teachers realize that there is no one right way to teach something to someone they are able to open multiple doors for all of their students with engaging work that they like to do and can still be learning from. Sometimes as teachers we do get caught up in just giving worksheets to all the students and those who finish fast seem to get "rewarded" even when it's just extra practice. For those who struggle to read or focus all they see the worksheet as is a punishment. Find ways to can show you the information that they know by providing different ways and you'll see your students WANT to do better. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad that you really "GET" hallmark #6. Yup... you're gonna' be great!

    ReplyDelete