Friday, August 29, 2014

Differentiation: What is it and how do I do it?

For my differentiation class I have decided to write this blog showing my journey on this path to discovering how to build a differentiated classroom. I plan to share in my blog a quote either from the chapter or a quote that I've found that I think ties into each of the posts I'm going to share with you. In order to know how to build a differentiated classroom you have to know what that means. We are reading a book called "Fulfilling the Promise of the Differentiated Classroom" by Carol Ann Tomlinson and so far this is what I've learned from the first chapter.

           "I can't believe in you until I know you believe in me."

This quote came from the first chapter's reading and I love it! Students need to know that as their teacher we believe in them. They need to know that no matter what their journey looks like through our class we will always believe they are able to succeed and we will help them find a way to understand. As teachers, especially first year teachers, we may become overwhelmed trying to find a way to fit in all of the curriculum, classroom management, mini side lessons (character building), testing etc., but we must make sure that each of our students know that we do believe in them and that we are not just telling them this. We need to truly show each student who walks through our door that we do believe in them and that they are capable of anything they put their mind to. 

Teachers Must Take into Account Who They are Teaching as Well as What They are Teaching. 

Along with the quote above we need to realize that unless we know our students and how to best help them, it won't matter what material or lesson we need to give them. When students come into our classroom we know that we will have 25-30 new personalities all interested to see what their new teacher will be like. We, as teachers, will have our core curriculum that we have to teach them, but if we don't get to know our students then it won't matter what we are trying to teach them. Tomlinson states in her book "the goal of a differentiated classroom is to plan actively and consistently to help each learner move as far and as fast as possible along a learning continuum. (pg 2)" I like how she states that it's our goal to help EACH learner. As teachers, especially first year teachers, will be struggling trying to make sure we get our classroom set up and get the hang of teaching the grade we are in. However students need to know that we are here for them. We want to see each individual student succeed, not just teach to the middle of where the class is and hope that we've reached everyone. My professor, Nancy Peterson, talked about how important it is for each student who walks into your classroom to have a full year's worth of growth and learning despite what level they came into your classroom at. If you have a 3rd grade student who is reading at a 1st grade level, help them to achieve a 2nd grade reading level by the time they leave your classroom. 

I loved one of the analogies it gave in the book about The Little Prince and the Fox. For those who don't know there is a story of a little prince who begins a journey and meets several people along his path. He comes across a fox and the fox tells the little prince that they won't remember each other unless the prince "tames" the fox. The fox tells the prince unless you do this I will just be another fox you crossed along your way and you will be just  boy walking through the forest. The application for teachers is that we will have lots of students over the years that come into our classroom, but we must be willing to "tame" or adapt to getting to know the individual student in order to help our students grow. There is a statement in her book that I love and plan to have posted where I can see it every day in my classroom, it's one that I started out with today. It says, "I can't believe in you until I know you believe in me. (pg 9)" Each student needs to see that you care for him/her and that you truly believe they can succeed no matter what their circumstances in life are. Please never give up on your student even if it seems like nothing is working to reach them, it just means you haven't tried everything yet. Part of the reading that I read also helped me to understand that because I will have 25-30 different personalities in my classroom I need to realize that not all of them will learn the same. I need to find out what the best way is for them to learn and help them that way. Even as adults we know that I am going to learn differently than other class members, but it doesn't mean that I am any less important than those in my class. The feelings that are felt going through college or any type of school are the same things that your students are going to be thinking. Think back to when you were in school and you were confused or didn't understand the concept being taught. How did your teacher help you? Did he/she go out of their way to help you understand it? If so, how? If not, put yourself in their shoes and think how would I have wanted to be taught? 

So What? 

My definition of differentiation from what I've learned so far would be teaching each student in such a way that they are able to grow a full year in learning from where they came into your classroom, whether it was below grade level, at grade level, or above grade level. I am not the expert by any means, but I hope my blog helped you to understand what differentiation is and how you can succeed at helping the students that come into your classroom. As for how do you do it, it's a process where your students need to know that you believe in them and truly want to help them succeed and are willing to do whatever is necessary to help them achieve their true potential. There isn't just one magical, neatly packaged answer that will help you become an expert on differentiation. Teachers need to be willing to try different strategies to help challenge each and every student so that they can progress and learn to keep pushing themselves to further their knowledge. I hope someone was able to take away something from what I wrote today, but if I had to point out one major take away it would be to remember the quote I started out with. Students can't believe in their teacher until they know that their teacher believes in them. 

3 comments:

  1. First, I have to tell you how much I love the little cartoon at the bottom! Where did you find that? (I'll try to remember to ask you in class!) Next, I appreciate the depth of thinking you are doing as you read. You're right on track for making a difference in your students' lives!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly I googled differentiation cartoons/images and searched through lots of them for a good hour before I came across ones that I liked. We don't need to scrap our lesson plans just adjust to our students needs and where their readiness is.

      Delete
  2. Because I had teachers that believed in me it made me want to become a teacher myself. They impacted my life in a way that changed me. They cared and they showed it. I wanted to be that person in someones life. The teachers I loved the most were the ones that got to know and took interest in each of their students. It really makes a difference in a students life when the teacher cares and shows it. This is why differentiation is so important.

    ReplyDelete